Sunday, September 16, 2007
Video games move up in the world
Last night I was at Barnes & Noble and I read a chunk out of this book about the brain. There was a section all about how the brain handles pain and different techniques to deal with it. One recent study was done with video games. It said one of the most painful medical procedures is changing the dressing on a burn victim, so they took some burn victims and put those virtual reality games that cover your eyes and had them play while going through this painful process. The game actually helped people to have less pain because they were so focused on throwing snowballs the brain didn't think as much about the pain and therefore, you don't feel it as much if it's not thought about. And all this time I thought video games were such a waste of time, but now I know they actually have a useful purpose. Someday when I have kids and have to take them to get shots I think I will pick up a gameboy or something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
When I was little - way before the days of gameboys - the nurse put a charlie brown bandaid on the desk in front of me. She told me to see how fast I could blow it to the other side and off onto the floor. I was so consumed by blowing the bandaid off the desk, I didn't even notice she stuck me. ...until she picked up the bandaid off the floor and stuck it on my arm.
This post makes me happy.
I knew people went video game comatose but kudos to the guy that realized there was some use for having your brain completely obliterated by a flashing screen.
hey i have a great idea! we should play video games while giving birth!
Playing "Video Games" bought our house in Kent ;)
I was one of the lucky few in the world who had this dream job and did it for 6 years at Microsoft.
Also, they say that "gamers" usually make great doctors since they have such good hand-eye coordination!
Post a Comment