Tuesday, December 12, 2006

new hobby


Chess is our new hobby. Maybe it has to do with not having a TV, but whatever it is we really enjoy it. Brandon and I are really evenly matched so every game is intense. I am currently on a losing streak, but that could change at any time - especially if I find a good place to practice online.
I like instantchess.com because you can play against people all over the world and the games can't last that long because some of those people get me in checkmate in 6 moves and also because you are timed. And I think it's funny how you have an option of 10 specific things you can say to your opponent like, hi or tell them they are good. You can say "blunder" too if you want. But you only get so many free games before you have to pay. Does anyone know a good chess site?

I know I may sound like a dork getting into chess but I recently found out one of my friends was the president of his chess club in High School.... at least I don't have a claim like that. Although I do remember that BYU has a chess club and if I can convince Brandon we might have to check that out.

7 comments:

Ronnie said...

I recommend switching to Othello. It's much better I think.

bec said...

we talked about that actually, but we don't have the game, what's the website you play on?

Anonymous said...

othello is a great game, much better than chess, but chess is still a great game. but at least you can convince brandon to play chess with you, because i'm pretty sure that chris would say he has much better things to do (like studying--who studies? honestly) than play chess. another weird tidbit--my dad was also president of his chess club in high school--weird.

Anonymous said...

The first time I played chess I was babysitting for elementary school-aged girls in my neighborhood. I was in high school at the time. They had a chess table and were shocked when I said I didn't know how to play. So this 7 or 8 year old teaches me how to play. It's quite humbling to be killed in a chess game by a little girl who still wears training pants to bed. ~Charlotte
(It won't let me post with my blogger account name)

Anonymous said...

I learned how to play chess online. I can't remember where, but I'll think about it and get back to you.

B-rad said...

I've only ever beaten my father one time at chess. Later, I discovered that he had some chess trophies from some tournaments that he won in the past. I think my mom hid them out of embarrassment. It was a mechanical engineers tournament. How nerdy would that look on a trophy? Have you tried the old "fool's mate" trick on Brandon? Sometimes that works.

bec said...

no, what is "fool's mate?"